Delaware Sports Blitz is excited to announce a new series we will be doing called Behind the Sports.
The Behind the Sports series is looking at men and women who prepare athletes for their best on and off the court ( SIDs, AD, educators, trainers and etc.). The series will also be looking at different careers in the sports field from media, operating an arena, tickets sales, public relations and etc.
This week we will be featuring Delaware Blue Coats Senior Director of Marketing & Communications, Alex Yoh. As Senior Director of Marketing & Communications, Yoh is responsible for overseeing all marketing, public relations, promotions, digital content, and event/game operations for the Blue Coats. Yoh began his career in the sports industry as a camera operator for the Philadelphia Phillies Double AA affiliate minor league team, the Reading Fightin’ Phils. Yoh’s passion for creative marketing and finding ways to make a positive impact in the community really shines through in the Blue Coats Senior Director of Marketing & Communications work.
Name the job and a brief summary of what it entails?
Yoh: Senior Director of Marketing & Communications
- I oversee all marketing, public relations, promotions, digital content, and event/game operations for the team. I get to be creative and thoughtful each and every day. I get to think of fun and exciting ways to engage our fans, lift up our community and promote our program.
How long have you been in this area of work?
- Yoh: I began my career in the sports industry as a camera operator for the Reading Fightin’ Phils about 10 years ago. I’ve been fortunate to work for several great organizations including the Pittsburgh Pirates, Marquette University and of course, the Philadelphia 76ers.
What interested you to get in this area of work?
- Yoh: The chance to genuinely have fun throughout my career was always the goal. I have gone by the saying, “do what no one else is willing to do now, so that you can do what no one else can do for the rest of your life.” Each day is different than the day before. It really is a blast.
What is the most rewarding part of the job?
- Yoh: Seeing unique ideas come to life is extremely rewarding, especially when it affects positive change in the community. There is nothing like seeing the power of basketball improve the trajectory of someone’s day, week, month or year.
What are some of the challenges of the job?
- Yoh: The industry is incredibly fast-paced and there is usually more work to do than we have people to do it. The daily challenge is trying to plan for the big picture when there is much to do in the day-to-day.
What advice would you give to someone who wants to work in this job or field?
- Yoh: To be sure to take a deep breath every day, step back from the stress and remind yourself that you work in the sports & entertainment industry. This is supposed to be fun… for our staff, for our fans, and everyone involved. Enjoy the ride!
If you would like to know more about the Delaware Blue Coats: Click Here